"Pastoral Landscape" by Edward Gay, N. A.
EDWARD B. GAY, N. A.
(American, 1837 – 1928)
Oil on canvas, 40 x 30 inches (canvas), 50 ¾ x 40 ¾ inches (frame) signed and dated lower left, 22k gold leaf hand-carved frame
Edward B. Gay was born in Dublin, Ireland on 25 April 1837 and immigrated with his family to Albany, New York in 1848. Three local Albany artists, James and William Hart and George Boughton, recognized Gay’s talent when he was a child and encouraged him to pursue his talents. Gay traveled to Europe and settled in Karlsruhe, Germany in 1862 where he studied with historical painters Johann Schirmer and Karl Friedrich Lessing. He returned to the United States in 1864 and began devoting his time to painting landscapes. Gay moved with his wife and children to Mount Vernon, New York and incorporated the magnificent landscapes into his work. An active participant in the Albany art community, he was first influenced by the Hudson River School. However, during a trip to Europe he encountered the work of John Constable of the Barbizon School and was struck by the “new Progressive spirit” of Constable’s work. While traveling through England and France, he discovered “new approaches to color and light.” He began spending time at the artist colony of Cragsmoor, New York where he bought a summer home in 1905. Despite his influences and training with artists of the Barbizon school and others, Gay identified with no particular school or category; rather, he “[painted] what he saw – no more, no less.” He died in Mount Vernon in 1928.
Comprhensive biographical information about the artist